Sunday, February 19, 2012

Saw 5


I'm a big fan of the series, especially 2 and 3. I think Saw 2 is one of the best horror films ever made. Beautifully done, excellent script, and 2 main surprises at the end. I first became disappointed with the series at seeing Saw 4, not necessarily because Jigsaw is dead, though he IS the dominating force and needs to come back. (If I had written #4, I would've started it at the end of 3, making the father save Jigsaw with a transfusion so he could find out where his daughter is; plus, his wife was a nurse, so he would conceivably know CPR, etc.) Anyway, I found little clever about the end of #4, and far less at the end of #5. 4 was written as a horror movie, not a hybrid mystery/horror movie, which is what brought me into the series in the first place. And #5 is more like a TV police drama than anything else. As one who doesn't watch any TV, I guess I'm more sensitive to how Saw 5 plays than an audience full of people who don't go to the movies as often as I do. It's too bad. But I'm Still looking forward to #6 of course. And will keep watching the series, hoping the cleverness of 2 and 3 will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment