Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wolf Creek (2005)


I chose to see this movie after a dinner with some girls from work, and perhaps this Horror is not for everyone, we all got creped out and totally engrossed in the story line. Shot in what felt like real life cinematography it felt so raw and real I had to remind myself to breathe while the story unfolded. I liked how the cast was small and very likable, and although the beginning unfolded slowly we got to know and like Liz, Kristy and Ben more, until I remembered that this was not going to be a pretty movie and I had a huge knot in my throat thinking about what was laying ahead for them. The are simple young kids backpacking through Australia when they visit the Wolf Creek National Park, and spend some time at the Crater, which is a tourist attraction while in the middle of nowhere. Their troubles start when their watches and the car stop working, and they have to rely on a friendly local to help them out. Unfortunately the friendly local has other intentions about their future and they are gruesome. I was shocked while watching half the scenes; this movie really stays in your head, days after you see it. Perhaps because the kids are so nice and likable and real and when bad things happen it's like watching yourself in this situation. I really liked this movie because it reminded me of books such as Intensity by Dean R. Koontz, where you had a young person or more, trying to survive a deadly game with a lunatic killer who is insanely hard to outwit. The major plusses of the movie were that the cast was small and let me tell you, they were not spared close encounters and even death, but you must watch for yourself to see how that unfolds. All I can say it that when you saw the struggle and pain and thought a certain person was safe, only the worst happened over and over. This movie grabs you slowly, but then it sucks you in like a tornado. I loved this low budget flick and I will definitely hold it above many Hollywood productions. If you love horror, then you will love this, no iffs and buts about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment